Skip to main content

Time Changes

I think we are now only 3 hours time difference from you folks in the Pacific time zone! (Well of course plus a day but really, it makes it easier to try to get in touch via phone being only a few hours off in the time of day.)

The rain came in this weekend so we scrapped the camping trip. We went for a day trip down to Opunake and Dustin got out for a surf but the conditions weren't that great. The swell is still tiny and the winds aren't really co-operating. The town is cute. It's about an hour south but it was hard to gauge because this weekend was a big race event so most of the roads were on a temporary 50 kms/hr limit. The race was 160 kms long and called "Race Around the Mountain" or something to that effect. I think most people ran in teams but 15 people were taking it on themselves! I read about 1700 people were entered. But the beach in front of the Opunake holiday park would be lovely in better weather! The holiday park is pretty much on the beach so if we have time when we leave New Plymouth, we might stay a night there.

We've started to get things going for our WWOOFing. (Willing Workers On Organic Farms - you work 4-5 hours in exchange for accommodation and food.) Had requested a few places that are already booked up so we're sending other requests. It will be neat once we get started on those stays! We have a book that's about 150 pages long listing all sorts of hosts across the country. So we should be able to make it work in a few cities at least! We might have our stay sorted for around Christmas time but have to confirm again next month.

The car continues to be a saga. Was booked  this morning to get the last thing fixed (those darn doors) and the part wasn't sent to the shop! Since the owner was away last week he wasn't there on Friday to confirm they had it in time for my booking. Sheesh. So now I have to take it back on Thursday. Lucky I have two other days off this week because I think next week is our last week for repairs to get the warrant of fitness. We had a nail in the tire on Saturday so had to get it repaired before heading down to Opunake. Good thing a few shops were open because most automotive shops are closed on weekends.

Interesting to hear that Campbell has resigned. Yipee! Maybe we'll considering moving back to BC now... ;)  - I have to admit we haven't been keeping up on news at home so unless someone has told us about it, we aren't in a habit of checking BC news sites. Every now and then when I have free time online I will pop onto one but given that I do work online and a lot of internet use is governed by library hours or usage limits, there's not a lot of online free time. Especially the last few days as I've been trying to get some Jack Johnson tickets on the auction site! I keep getting greatly outbid but I'm still trying!

Just over 3 and a half weeks until we hit the road! I am certainly looking forward to the kick off with the Rhys Darby show! Great way to begin!

Comments

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock