Skip to main content

A Positively New Year!

Well it already feels like 2012 is older than just 6 days. Neither of us took extra time off over Christmas so maybe it just feels like we haven't taken a break. But our mindset is somewhat set on our plans for March so we didn't really consider taking extra days off, I mean we had a 4 day weekend and then a 3 day weekend so that was a good deal. I think we underestimated though all of our plans over the last couple months and they left us kind of drained. Theresa was in town over the holidays and it was funny because she asked what we've been up to and we were kind of stumped and it became apparent that we seem to have two modes: work, and travel. Now Dustin's headed out of town during the week to work in Logan Lake. They are building something for the mine up there. So I'm solo on weekdays now. But that's ok, it just encourages me to work on projects or be more social!

We spent New year's with a handful of close friends which is exactly what we like to do. Then we spent New Year's Day helping troubleshoot and fix a leak that sprung from said friends' ceiling the next morning while we cooked breakfast. haha. Ok, so I was mostly just there for hilarious comments while the boys did most of the work. It was fun though.

I have to say neither of us are really New Year Resolution type folks. Generally we have goals in mind and work towards them through the year or solve problems when they happen rather than shelving them for the next year. There's nothing wrong with resolutions, I just haven't caught the value of making them once a year. Anyways, over dinner last week we were talking and Dustin said that just in life in general he wants to be more positive. Such a valuable thing to pursue I reckon! Now, I kind of consider myself to be a positive person and not that he isn't (I mean he'd have to be otherwise I would be able to handle being married to him) but it was cool that it came up. For instance, he was saying that since everyday people ask how you are and a lot of people answer "not bad" - even though you are saying it's sort of good, it's a really glass-half-empty way to think about it. So I've been catching myself lately and trying to say better things than that. Because even if you aren't "good" just saying so makes you that much closer.

Comments

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock