Skip to main content

Looking back on the year

If there was one word to describe 2015, it might be hectic, or depleting or full (but good full). (So technically I got away with choosing three words... and I guess the last two contradict each other but well that was the year.)

There was plenty going on in our lives from all angles and we certainly grew and adapted and practiced patience. We had both ends of the spectrum from good times and great laughs, to tears and exhaustion - though that's probably accurate to say about most years.

January was busy with summer activities and preparations for a February wedding on the South Island. The wedding gave us an excuse to take a week or so off and cruise around a little. Dustin brewed (and served!) beer for the wedding and I decorated the cake(s). It was a great time with good friends and lots of adventures and kiwi birds and glow golf at night.

Then we took a somewhat-impromptu trip to see the Foo Fighters and Rise Against in Auckland which was an incredible show. Then it was only a couple weeks until Dustin's mom arrived for a visit! We traveled south for a special occasion and headed north to the Coromandel while she was here. It was great for her to see where we're living now and to have company!!

However, by then, I was having issues with work and was becoming frustrated and burnt out so that marked the first half of the year unfortunately. Luckily there were all these fun things to distract me from it but by June I decided to give my notice. Dustin had also been stressed at work as he was busy running a job at a retirement village - building an indoor pool! It lasted for months and months (more months than he preferred). He was there from about March through to about October. He's been running a lot of jobs this year and mentoring many apprentices along the way.

We knew that we'd need something to break up the winter so we booked a trip to Niue. It was a wonderful week of exploring this new place and kicking up our feet. We got to swim with humpback whales too!! If you are thinking of coming down to NZ, think about booking a side trip to Niue :)

Always in the background were ongoing renovations we have been working through:

The bathroom pipe that was punctured! Luckily we caught it before it got too bad.
The laundry room revamp - I don't even know if we have a good "before" but man this has been a MAJOR improvement!

Ripping apart the lounge room and getting rid of some of the chimney!
Taking out the wall between the lounge and the dining room.
Overhauling the kitchen! (still ongoing)
Dustin rocking even more new skills in tiling the kitchen wall!

So, by the time I left my job, I definitely had enough to keep me busy around the house! I really needed some time to feel better though. By October, I felt like I wasn't able to relax and I wasn't making progress on planning for what is to come next so I accepted a temp role with an oil and gas firm in town. It's been going really well and has been a great role to rebuild my confidence. Also this is pretty much my view (I think the camera must sit just above my window on the top floor.)



The last few months have been full of social events (Halloween party! Friend's leaving party! Birthdays! Christmas Parties!) and we were lucky enough to have our second guests from BC in the year. Nate and Jenni came to hang out with us for a couple of weeks at the start of December. We toured up in Hahei and stayed a night in Waitomo. Then we showed them New Plymouth for about a week before they headed off for a couple nights of exploring. I haven't written an entry about the visit yet so will save most of the photos for that!

Marokopa Falls
So, it's feeling like a year of transformation - house, job, and a new family member! We're feeling much further along with the house and I have another couple months in my current contract. Dustin should be moving on to another project in a month or two as well. I don't think we have a lot of big plans for 2016 just yet but rest assured we'll be keeping busy.

We have the first grandchild in our family on the way as my sister is pregnant! So, a new little "Blaney"is on the way!

For now, we hope that your 2015 has had lots of high points (and feel free to share them with us!) and that 2016 brings you many more. Happy new year!

He's still just a little guy

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas Dustin and Katherine,
    So nice to receive your email and catch up on your year. I will be sending a missive too as Syd and I made changes this year too.
    Hugs,
    Aunty Shirley
    P.S. You writing skills are excellent... 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to receive your Christmas letter and update. I'm glad you two are having a range of experiences and that you're enjoying life. The 'new addition' to your family looks like he's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love reading your yearly recaps even if it takes me half a year to get around to reading them :) Love this method of staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock