Skip to main content

Na na na na na na na na fishing!

Dustin picked up a fishing rod on the weekend thanks to a labour day weekend sale! He dropped me off at work on Saturday and then went to a garage sale and found a tackle box with a bunch of gear for $15 and then he went to Rebel Sport to get a surfcasting rod and reel set for about $50. Then after work on Sunday we went down to the breakwater near the port and tried our luck! Unfortunately we didn't have any! And I got the tackle snagged when I reeled it in so lost a few weights and a hook. Oops.

We went out again on Monday (since it's Labour Day, Dustin didn't have to work and I always have Mondays off) to a river mouth near Oakura and didn't have luck there either. But we're working on it.

The weather has warmed up and dried out quite a bit so we've been getting lots more sun and have a few less blanket layers on the bed at night. The flat isn't insulated (as most housing in New Zealand) so even if it's about 5 degrees outside it's cold! They don't have central heating, or even baseboard heating in our place either. So good to know that we're through the coldest temps.

We're both just working these days and we might head down the coast this weekend if weather and surf look good! Do a little more camping and fishing and surfing. Should be good if all forecasts are good!

Dustin was a bit sick this weekend unfortunately, something of a chest cold but he went to work today so hopefully it didn't drain him too much. So we didn't get up to much - well also the fact that I worked didn't lend itself to any big nights. I think we were in bed before 9pm last night and around that time on the weekend. I start at 7:15am so it makes for early nights.

This weekend is of course Halloween but I haven't seen much going on. There are two Halloween events I've seen advertised - one at the strip club and one at a roller skating rink. So, probably neither would really suit us. Oh well, at least we don't have to stress about a costume. I only just noticed costumes and candy in stores this week roughly so it's not a huge thing down here.

Righty-o, time to go home and have some dinner!

Always beautiful looking at Mt. Taranaki

Flip flops are not good footwear for this fishing spot

Soon after this, I lost the tackle!

Comments

  1. Too bad you didn't catch anything this time but hopefully next trip you will be able to enjoy some fresh caught fish. I must say the water looks so very blue, much like Mexico. N&F Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught you a delicious bass.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock