Skip to main content

8 more sleeps!

The countdown is on to when the real trip begins! Although settling right away did serve a very good purpose and got us funded for the next stretch, we are ready for more excitement!

Dustin got to start his fun yesterday at his work Christmas party. They got to cut out early and go golfing and then had a BBQ at the golf course before heading to the pub. I picked him up around 7pm - minus his thongs - and when we got home he promptly went to bed. Turns out his ailing thongs from Australia a couple years ago finally gave way on the second tee box. But seeing barefeet here is pretty common. In stores and the library you see it so I'm sure the golf course and pub were no different.

We finally realized that since we have a spare room we should have it open to couchsurfers so we changed our profile last week and have a request from some Vancouverites! They are arriving tonight and Dustin has the phone today so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get back to them before they make other plans. But I want to try! Hopefully Dustin isn't still feeling the effects of the party and wanting a nice quiet night. haha.

After today we'll each have 4 days of work left. They had a Christmas party for the residents on Tuesday at my work but the dinner started at 4:30pm so I had already gone home but I did get to help set up the tables. It looked nice but it was sad because about half the residents didn't have any friends or family coming to the dinner. Working there has really made me think about getting older and what kind of life I'd like to have when I'm a senior.

Today they are having the memorial service for the miners down in Greymouth. I was at the library while the two minutes of silence was observed and it was really sad to think that 29 people were lost there.

So let's all think good things and bring about more positivity!

Comments

  1. Great to hear that you are excited for the next part of your journey and I can't wait to read all about it. Too bad Dustin's thongs didn't make it back to Australia for a final farewell.
    Missing you as always N&F Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock