Skip to main content

Handshakes and Hugs

Our New Plymouth time is winding down with only more more night at our flat before we are gypsy travelers again. I had a great last day at work! I even had the same woman I was training help the last two days which worked out really well. Yesterday they had the kitchen make up some food and we had a morning tea send off. There were scones with tomato slices on them, banana cake with chocolate icing, little rolled up asparagus sandwiches and some different mini meat pies! A feast indeed! Plus I got to sit and enjoy it for like an hour because my supervisor came in to help the coworker I was training! Woo! On top of that they got me flowers and gave me a pretty jewelry box as well as a jeweled letter opener - they kept saying I was a gem. Then two of the ladies ambushed me while I was about to drive the serving dishes back to the main kitchen and covered me with baby powder! At first I was just laughing and then they were even dumping it down the back of my shirt so I had to get out of the van to escape! I was dusting myself off for the next hour while I finished up some tasks. It was great, they even paid out the last couple days of work imediately rather than waiting a couple weeks until the next pay day.

In contrast, Dustin got to buy the guys beer. haha. But we had a bottle of bubbly waiting in the fridge which Dustin opened like he just won the Stanley Cup while announcing, "It's the permanent weekend!!"

So today Dustin's out surfing and I came to the library to do some work before we tackle the cleaning of the flat before our landlord comes by this afternoon. Then tomorrow morning we're off! We will probably stop Friday night in a place called Castlecliff - turns out that Dustin's old workmate's brother-in-law runs the holiday park there. Then Saturday night we'll be in Palmerston North for the Rhys Darby show and by Sunday afternoon we'll be WWOOFing in a place called Ohau which is just south of a town called Levin. We'll be there until the 16th and then make our way south to Wellington where we catch a ferry on the 20th.



View Larger Map

It's been very weird to keep hearing Christmas carols and see trees decorated because it's too warm to be Christmas! Unfortunately we'll be out of town before they have started their Christmas celebrations in New Plymouth which include lighting up the big park where we saw Jack Johnson and then they have entertainment running from after Christmas through to the end of January every night! There are different bands and choirs and local entertainers. It would be really neat but alas, timing just won't allow it.

We are ready to explore and we're making sure that we go with the flow and that we don't get too caught up if something isn't working out for us. Time to let things slide.

Anyways, we're not sure how much we'll get online depending on what the coverage is like as we're going through smaller areas. If you need to reach us it's best to phone or text. But I'll do my best to keep this updated and of course the camera will be coming out a whole lot more than it has lately.

Comments

  1. Hi Guys =)
    I haven't been able to catch up on your blog but I just read your most recent post and it seems like you're on the road again. Take care and be safe and most importantly, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well kids, this is it...You're on the road again!! Safe travels and take all the opportunities that come your way, as you know I live vicariously through you. Missing you always, N&F Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Special send off for a Special girl!! Sounds like you were their little Gem. We could've told them that. We hope the waves co-operate and Dustin can get some surfing in. You too Katherine! Don't forget the sunscreen. Miss you both! Love you both!
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock