Skip to main content

The Big Perogy

There are only a few foods that we don't come by simply and easily in New Plymouth. One of them is perogies.

Yep they are sold frozen, by hundreds of kilograms in the super markets in the Lower Mainland but they are not common here...

So, occasionally, I have to do something about that.

Mostly, this foray into Central/Eastern European cuisine was inspired by a brewing day last month. We have a "Canadian Club" where the boys of Maple Fern Brewing and I eat a typically Canadian meal while they are brewing up some beer.

Past lunches have included poutine (with freshly made cheese curds no less) and of course Kraft Dinner. When it was my turn to set the menu, I knew it was time to take on perogies.


The dough isn't difficult.


Neither is the filling really. But it makes for many steps and many bowls and pots dirtied.

I have to point out the orange colour because cheese here isn't orange. It's white (like the milk it's made from.) So how did I recreate that artificial colour? In addition to potatoes in the filling I added kumara (or yams/sweet potatoes). I thought I was being quite clever. The boys didn't even notice because they were just so used to that orange filling of perogies from days of old.



This batch was actually just to put right into the freezer because I had made way too much orange filling last month and it's been waiting patiently in the freezer as well. This batch didn't even use it all up so there will be more perogies to come!

It's an effort but man did they hit the spot that day. Fried onions, sauerkraut, homemade sour cream, some salami kind of stuff... And I might add they are much nicer than the storebought kind we remember. (Even the fancy storebought ones from the European Deli in Burnaby.) Now if we could only find a Central/Eastern European perogy-enthusiasts club to join so we could eat them more often with less effort. Maybe we have to start one.

(And I know perogy can be spelled many ways but that's the way I remember it so I am ignoring all the red squiggly spelling error lines.)

Comments

  1. Anna and I made perogies polish style and it took us a full day and into the night but we made over 200 total! Ours were not quite as big as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa 200 is awesome! That would be a good supply :)
      I wonder if the recipe I had was Polish style or not? Hmm, I will just have to make some more soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock