Skip to main content

Go the Chiefs!

What does any self-respecting Chiefs fan do after a big win?

Well, they go out and try to gain more honour by arm-wrestling...


I did not win but I put up a good fight. Aw well, a bit more training first.

Poor Dusty has been sick all week, he was home Monday and then back to work because he couldn't get into the doctor until Wednesday. So, unfortunately he didn't stick around for the whole rugby game of the Chiefs vs the Blues tonight. But I did because it was clear and the stars were out but it was chilly. So I found some friends, ordered a beer and stuck around. I needed a night out after a client today commented on my "lacklustre effort"! Luckily my boss did not agree and the client since retracted his comment but eep, makes you shake your head that people put things like that into writing!

It's been sort of a quiet week on the homefront. I went to a free beer tasting with a couple friends but Dustin was home sick that day so not up for it and because we've begun Meatless May I had to turn down the mini venison burgers!! And then they didn't even come to our table with the tiramisu which would have been divine with the coffee stout on tap. Oh well, we have an imperial stout in the pipeline for Maple Fern so I can make one then (with homemade marscapone at that!)

Tuesday, we picked up a second hand couch we got off this auction site here. You see, although we've both had a couple sick days since we moved in with our two 2-seater couches, for some reason the lack of laying out space wasn't highlighted until Dustin's illness lately so we saw a good catch and picked it up. Although when I got there to view it, the seller was out and another viewer showed up and thought I was the seller (even though I was standing beside my car playing 7 little words on my phone) so when we both got to the front door that was amusing that we both thought the other had a key. Anyways, now we have too many couches but we'll clear out the other two eventually but we'll need to replace them with armchairs or something. There is no Craigslist here (people just don't use it for some reason!) and people highly over-value their furniture on the auction site that is most popular so even though we weren't couch shopping, this nice one was up so we grabbed it.

Wednesday and Thursday we tried to lay low but Dustin still worked which might explain why the full game in 7/8 degree temperatures was too much. No major plans this weekend. Not like last weekend which was action-packed: we saw Ahoribuzz on Friday night and stayed out past 1am and I danced so hard I wore down the insole of my boots! I put them on this morning and noticed it was all worn underfoot! Then on Saturday Dustin brewed up what will be the base of a feijoa beer - feijoa is an NZ fruit and we used to have a super duper tree for, but this year's is more about quality than quantity so it's not producing a heap but the few it's sharing are massive! I should take some photos. While he brewed beer, I took in some of the kapa haka regionals qualifiers.

Kapa haka is a Maori dance that includes song and actions. I've been hooked since some of our first exposure to it and many others since. I finally put my finger one why it captures me so deeply this time: the passion. The singers are just giving everything in the song and dance and it's so contagious that it really wraps you up in the performance. So, there was a day-long competition that I caught about half of. I was moved by many of the groups, including this one and many others! It's just amazing to watch. I get teary-eyed. The cool thing too is that after a performance, people in the audience (usually from an iwi that was referenced or others of the same group that want to show their support) get up and perform a responding haka or song, just anyone who knows it gets up and joins in, and there's just so much passion involved that you can't help but feel it.

Last Sunday though, when Dustin started feeling ill we didn't get up to much but I did head down the coast to pick up our milk which was a beautiful sunny drive.

So, we are just cruising along here, we've made some travel plans for August to attend a friends' wedding in Wanaka and hit up a Wellington beer festival on the way (we're volunteering which means we get to attend a session for free). We will be in need of a break because we've both been getting burnt out at work I think but trucking through it.

Hope to relax and hit up the Craft/Beer Room at some point this weekend to make these casserole carriers I keep seeing! For now, it's getting to be bedtime for me, Dustin's been asleep for a while yet. Sweet dreams all, even if it's hours before you rest... xoxo

Comments

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock