Skip to main content

Zumba Nation

After a year and a half of attending Zumba classes 1-2 times weekly (ok, most weeks), I decided to become a Zumba instructor! The trainings don't usually happen in New Plymouth and the women who run the classes here were heading down for an advanced instructor training so I joined them and started the first level!

It was down near Wellington, but not in the city. I hopped the bus south as the course I was on was earlier than the other ones. So, one full day of learning the four basic rhythms and associated steps and I am officially licensed to teach Zumba! There's lots and lots of practice before I'll have enough of a repertoire to do the whole class but I'm planning to debut my first song in a couple weeks at a Saturday class! So, I'll be running through it a couple times daily until then!


Another local woman who did the training, the instructor and I.
I've found is that Zumba is such a fun fitness activity. It doesn't feel like exercise and yet it's so good for your fitness. The cool part of the class was that it focused more on how to include everyone rather than how you have to be perfect at what you do. Of course, leading well is important but it was more about how Zumba changes people's lives. And you hear it all the time from people who go to class - they build confidence, they get in shape, they overcome injuries and illness with the smiles and community it offers. So I'm really looking forward to getting more involved and see what ripples my classes cause in people's lives - and well, that sounds pretty arrogant but if you've been to Zumba you'll know it's not... it's really just good fun with awesome benefits!


Comments

  1. I can totally see you being a zumba teacher!! Good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock