Skip to main content

Sick Daze

Well after the relative whirlwind of last week I guess it's only fitting that we've taken it fairly easy the last couple days. I stayed on the couch sleeping and resting yesterday almost all day until Dustin got me out and we walked down to the coastal walkway they have along the ocean here. It was gorgeously sunny and had to be 16-18 degrees out but with a wind. Dustin had been out for a few hours wandering around earlier in the day. This coastal walkway runs about 7km I think. When we are better we are going to rent some bikes and check it out further. When we followed a street that runs down to the walkway from near our place, we found that it takes you right to a surf break. But it's kind of a cliff you have to make your way down so we'll have to walk down closer to see if it's easily accessible or if you have to paddle to it. There were a couple guys out yesterday. It's also right near the port so there were a few big ships coming and going.

Today we dozed and watched tv until midday when we had to go get more groceries. Without a car, we couldn't carry much home the other day so needed something for dinner. But we got a lot more today. Dustin was exhausted when we got home so I popped back out to the library as the sun came back out after a rainy morning.

It seems like much of the work Dustin might be able to do could be further than a walk or bus ride away. So we sort of want to find a car before we start looking for jobs. Myself, I'm not sure if I'll have to look into outlying areas as well so it would be handy at least for interviews. Depending what he finds, we might have to get Dustin some of the basic tools for construction. I think the most I'd have to do is get more business casual wear. We're kind of in a rush to get things going but given our energy level I'm not going to push it.

Lame as it is, we are so glad to have cable tv to keep us entertained while we're sick. But at least we're getting caught up in the rugby! The Taranaki team (Taranaki is what this regional area is called) plays this Friday and I think it's a home game so we have to get tickets and can walk up to the stadium. Hopefully it won't be more than a day before we are ready to get moving again! I only just unpacked my stuff this morning but we are still rearranging things to suit us.

Next time I promise to post some photos - didn't bring the camera or SD card with me today!

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that you are still not feeling great. Hopefully with a little rest you'll be up and about to discover more of the area around you. Good luck on the job search too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sent you a link by email about acting jobs in NZ. Thinking of you and hope you are both chipper soon. Love & Miss YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock