Skip to main content

First Place Shakes

Yesterday turned into quite a day. Not only did we win first prize at quiz night but there was a 7.0 earthquake!

Yes, we've kind of pulled the "decide by not deciding" move and are trying to dig in our heels and see what happens. Dustin ended up getting called by a big construction company (probably the biggest in NZ I would wager) a few weeks ago. At the time he declined an interview since he was just in the early days of his new job. But he decided to see if it was still an option so got in touch a week or so ago. After an interview, they've asked him to get a medical and drug test and they are looking to make an offer as long as the medical's all good. (Which we know it will be.) So this has been an interesting shift. The company seems quite keen to promote from within and groom young guys into bigger roles. Change is afoot for him.

Myself, I have decided that any work will be better than the current none so went out CV-dropping last week. I have a trial shift tonight for a restaurant. Unfortunately, it's more like an ABC family style but the good thing is it's only open until 9pm. In my mind I have the job but maybe I shouldn't be so cocky. Anyways, that's a possibility for me in the near future. And I've started advertising my website around town so might end up with bits and pieces from that. Website, you ask? Check it out here: http://katherineblaney.weebly.com/ If you have any feedback, I'd be open to hearing it.

Tuesday nights are a pretty standard evening so we decided to add some fun and go out to a local quiz night. Basically it's a scheme the bars here have to get people out mid-week. So around town from Tuesday-Thursday you can generally find at least one quiz night going on. It's free to enter and you can get a group together. The topics vary but are still kind of general knowledge type things. We met up with our couchsurfing friends and went for it. After 8 rounds of ten questions, it turned out that we managed to get the top score out of 8-10 teams, including a table full of doctors. Which was only pointed out because there was controversy over the question, "What makes up the endocrine system?" - the answer was glands but many people felt hormones was also acceptable. Haha. So the doctors said no, just glands. So we are the proud owners of a $50 bar tab - which we will redeem next Tuesday because why not try for a repeat! I was much more excited than this prize warranted but hoenstly, between our trips here, Dustin and I have gone to at least about 6-8 different quiz nights and never have placed in any prize-winning number. We are usually taking on teams of 6 or 8 people though so the combined knowledge is where it's at!

Then we went to bed and though Dustin had no trouble falling asleep, I was lying awake and the bed was moving. Initially I thought Dustin was having a crazy dream and he was shaking or something but then I noticed the noises. It sounded like a wind on the window, or pebbles falling against it. Our blinds swinging ever so slightly side to side, tapping on the window frames. Our mirror was creaking in its precarious lean-to position. I realized that it was an earthquake! It took three shakes to wake Dustin because I couldn't just lie there without him feeling what was going on too! We waited it out for another 20 seconds and it was just a mild rocking. Nothing fell off of shelves, there were no reports of damage. But it was a 7.0 off the coast and underground about 260 kms. So that explains it. I felt another about 20 minutes after that but couldn't tell if my mind was playing tricks or not because it was quite brief in comparison. But people reported feeling it from Auckland (5 hours north) to Dunedin (almost as far south on the South Island as you can go.)

I've been trying to catch a good view of the mountain lately but haven't got the perfect shot yet:







Comments

  1. Yikes! I'm glad there wasn't any reported damages and you guys are ok! :)
    Hopefully both the jobs for you guys will work out nicely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it was definitely unexpected! Well, I did the trail shift and never heard back! (Yes I am fully aware I should have followed up but the thing was I didn't really want the job so was only willing to take it if they called to offer... I think I need to get over myself though.)

      Delete
  2. Glad you guys are ok! And those are amazing views!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! Glad you like the photos! :) If go to our balcony and then crane our heads to look back around the building, we can see the mountain which is where a few of those shots were from.

      Delete
  3. Amazing, amazing photos! That is absolutely bonkers about the earthquake. I too am very glad to hear that you both escaped unscathed.

    Congrats on the quiz night - we went just the other night and left victorious as well!

    Always sending my best wishes your way.
    xx
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know there had been an earthquake? Mind you I have been traveling pretty much non-stop since June 24th. Glad to hear you guys are ok! I have only ever felt one earthquake. It was funny that you thought Dustin was the source of it at first, ha ha :) I thought a 7.0 would make stuff fall over, but glad to hear there was none of that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock