Skip to main content

Propping up some FUN

You may notice a lack of exploration since we've been here. Four months has slogged by on an ever-changing time frame. Lately it's been flying though and it's a bit of a reminder that if we don't plan to stay past March, we ought to start enjoying the country more!

So I got us some tickets to see the All Blacks play Argentina in September which means a weekend away in Wellington! As far as larger cities go, I am a fan of Wellington. There's all sorts of character to the city and it's situated in a lovely area. Aside from some navigational troubles in the past, we are looking forward to heading down there. And in a departure from our travels of the past we are staying at hotels! Not hostels, not campgrounds or holiday parks and no couchsurfing or wwoofing! They aren't luxurious hotels but it's still a step up haha. My tummy is already grumbling in anticipation of a visit to this excellente Mexican restaurant we found on our last visit. Hope we can remember where it is! So that's about 6 weeks away I guess.

We'll get to see this haka performed live! Intense!

Speaking of fun, a couple weeks ago the library had a learn to knit day! Even though my mother has some mad knitting skills, I'd put geography to blame as to why I haven't ever thought to have her teach me over the last few years! I skipped my weekly balance class at the gym and biked on down to the library where I met a lovely woman who had been knitting since she was 4 years old. She set me right and off I went. I am nearly ready to finish a dish cloth! Look out all you new moms, in what is sure to be many, many months your little one may just receive a scarf handmade by me! I am quite pleased to have a new hobby to help fill the unemployed hours with and will post some photos when I have anything substantial to show off!

My interview last week went well and they called about an hour after to make an offer for a casual position at the hospital. I am awaiting the paperwork in the mail so unless someone else snaps me up before then (*ahem* district court I'm looking at you!) I just may be working in all of the admin areas of the hospital. So watch this space for breaking news. I may be taking on another virtual assisting client too which would be great! Her and I have a skype call tomorrow to see if we have synergy. Ok, I'm kidding, I don't use words like synergy. But I do have a call.

I'm not sure if the television show Undercover Boss is very popular in Canada these days but it's being broadcast here and since there's only about a dozen free channels, a lot of people end up watching it. None more than Dustin's past co-workers at the tree company. When he told them he was leaving, they started to chatter about how they all thought he was an undercover boss! Since that company is worldwide, a bloke with a Canadian accent showing up and getting stuck into it without any notice just seemed likely enough to them to be some spy from the corporate headquarters. So I wonder if they were all waiting to find out who he would give a bunch of money to?

The daylight has decided to stick around long enough in the evenings for us to notice. So Dustin took his surfboard to work today as the surf rating is forecast to be 10/10 this afternoon. That leaves me biking down to the budget office because I have a client meeting this evening. Usually quite fine but I'm still getting over this cold that's knocked me down for nearly a week! So he'll have to pick me up because the way home is uphill! And the last leg is so steep that I haven't biked all the way up yet but end up walking it!

So dinnertime for me!

Comments

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock