Skip to main content

I don't wear unemployment well anymore...


Uh yeah, we aren't bears. Oh the local paper always makes me laugh. I wonder if that girl ever imagined 30,003 people would watch her stuff her face with cinnamon buns.

So last night, as has happened a few times now, the wind and rain woke us up. That's the fierceness of the winter storms. And we haven't even had a real bad one yet. But, I do appreciate that it's over and done with quickly. And most times it waits until nighttime to attack which means it doesn't hang around all day.

We realized that we've hit the 3 month mark of being in NZ. Which is quite depressing considering I'm still not working. Dustin's job has been so-so and I think he's considering whether he'll stay with them or not. I've been able to keep positive until recently. I don't know what's shifted but it's much tougher to get motivated and be happy about the current situation.

Two things that always shock me here when thinking of cost is power and car repairs. I am sure we noticed it last time too, but oil changes are expensive! The cheapest I've found is $70. We would do it ourselves but even that's got to be about $40 and we still have to dispose of the oil and get a few tools to do so. Electricity is probably about four times the price it is in BC. In the past we've had 2 one bedroom apartments and I don't remember a bill ever topping $40 - and I am pretty sure the bills were bi-monthly too. We just got our recent bill for power and gas (I think the only thing the gas is for is our hot water) and it's $113. And that's not even full on winter yet. It sure makes you consider leaving anything on and how you use your appliances. Hopefully the heat pump won't be a big hit on our monthly bill because we've definitely been using that a lot.

So folks, we'll be plugging along here in the wind and rain and deciding how much longer I can handle being unemployed... maybe a holiday is in order!

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about the slump, I hope you find a job soon and that things will turn around for you guys!!! And wow $70 oil change...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy expensive for an oil change. It's always strange to learn about the things that cost so much more in different areas of the world - or what costs so much less.

    I can't imagine what big storms will be like! I feel like I straddle the opinion that storms are cool/terrifying. Let us know about them.

    Sending positive thoughts down your way!
    V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's often things you can't make a lot of sense of either! The mechanics don't have a higher shop rate really and the parts are somewhat comparable to home.

      Definitely, storms are scary excitement! They do have tornadoes here on occasion and the other night the wind was so loud I was actually going through a thought process on what to do if a tornado rips off your roof. I actually didn't have a very good game plan... Today it's been seriously windy with rain coming through in short falls.

      Thanks for the positive vibes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock