Skip to main content

Batten down the hatches

Well in a couple hours I have my very first temp assignment. It's all of four hours! And it's doing stocktake at an electrical supply store. Oh well at least it gets me out of the house. I tried to make some progress with jobs this week and had a couple leads. I signed up with a temping place that does mostly trades work - I really think the guy didn't believe me when I said I'd be willing to do labour on a construction site or be a shovel hand for road work. At least he was nicer than the place that Dustin works for, I dropped by there as well and the guy flat out said "We don't have anything we can put females on until later in December and then we have some spots for people to hold traffic signs." I bit my tongue in repeating some of the things Dustin has said about his co-worker's lack of knowledge and worksmarts and he thinks I'd be a better helper than some of them. Anyways, back to the nice place, they might have a couple days a week packing furniture and in a couple weeks he has a 3 day stocktake position. The only trouble is that I have an interview with Greenpeace on Monday - they were something I applied for basically because I'm pretty sure if you can walk and talk you're in. They called for a phone interview and I know the right things to say but the position is door-to-door fundraising. And the pay is incentive-based depending on how many donations you get. Yikes. Not really my cup of tea but it is full-time work and I would be outside seeing the neighbourhoods. So I have the weekend to think about what to do if were to get an offer from them. It's definitely getting a bit discouraging - I have even been turned down by "The Warehouse - where everyone gets a bargain!" which is a Target/Wal-Mart type store - though I'm convinced that was because I said that yes, I had holidays planned between now and February and it was just a Christmas position. The trouble is that not many postings are for temporary work otherwise I'm sure I would have found something by now because there is a lot to apply for, just not for a short term stint.


In more exciting news - there is a massive storm brewing over the ocean and it's headed this way! It's been reported to be the size of Australia and it's supposed to come within about 1000 kms of The North Island this afternoon and stick around for the weekend, bringing extremely strong winds and high seas with it. On the South Island they've been hit with heaps of snow in some areas already. The swells are forecasted to be about 23 feet! The article I read advises people to stay off the Coastal Walkway and not to go in the water at all. Luckily Dustin isn't a stormchaser-surfer because I'm sure there's lots of people just waiting to get some of these big waves. I think we're going to try to watch some of the crazy waves somewhere that's not too close to the water. Dustin heard on the radio that the winds are likely to rip roofs off and since it's lambing season, farmers were warned to make sure their lambs were inside so as not to get blown away. There was actually a tornado - not related to this storm - earlier this week a little way down the coast! I only just learned that they got tornadoes here! So, I think it's officially spring and it's in like a lion.
So the storm and the rugby game are the happenings for this weekend. Should be good!

Comments

  1. Katherine don't get too discouraged about work as it is not a reflection on you - just the situation. I sure could tell them what a great hard worker you are! Stay safe during the storm and I hope that there isn't any damage.N&F Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you don't have to go walk around for Greenpeace during this storm! We don't want you to blow away!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock