Skip to main content

Take a Hike

First off, we are safe and sound. We are very far from the epicentre of the 7.1 earthquake that happened in Christchurch on Saturday. Dustin thinks he heard the windows shake around the time of the quake though but up here it was have been less than a 3.0 I'm guessing. Because Christchurch has so many older buildings, unfortunately the news footage we've seen is pretty sad. It looks like a lot of damage has happened and I think even through last night there was an aftershock nearly every hour!

We had a pretty quiet weekend. Dustin worked on Saturday again but of course there was a twist. I was going to drop him off and pick him up but we went out to the car and it didn't start. On Friday Dustin had left the lights on when he got home but I noticed after about 5 minutes and I started the car but didn't think to take it for a drive or anything since it started right away. But overnight I guess the battery slowly went flat. So we had to call a taxi for Dustin to get to work because he didn't have anyone phone number except the employment agency and the woman who answered couldn't help him. So my first task was to walk up and get some jumper cables. Then when one of the people in our building came home I asked for a jump and got it started. Anyways, a stressful morning for sure.

On Sunday we went up to Egmont National Park where Mount Taranaki stands. We hiked for a couple hours but it was pretty windy so it was chilly. Not quite as low as freezing but there was still snow on the ground. The track was in mid-thaw so there was lots of mud. It was a really nice hike though and we look forward to checking out more of the many trails up there. To go to the summit it's 8-10 hours so we might take that on later this year. It's best to do in the summer so you don't need any crampons or extra equipment. It was so random and funny though that the only other people we saw on the trail are the only other people we know in New Zealand! We ran into Jenn and Damian who we met through couch surfing. The trail was a loop and they were headed in the opposite direction but we had a chat before continuing on our way. While in the visitor's centre before our hike I was reading this chalkboard that's updated with information for hikers. On it said "Large carnivorous snails" lived in the park. I had to ask if it was real and the woman explained that they ate worms and the shell is an inch or two in diameter. Of course, having played too much Super Mario Bros. growing up, I was imagining people-sized snails we'd have to fight off. I think it was the word carnivorous that got me. I knew there were very few animals or bugs here that are harmful to people!

Comments

  1. I only heard about the earthquake this morning (I know, my finger is totally on the pulse) and freaked out - I'm very relieved that you guys are alright!
    I love your blog! The pictures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, large carnivorous snails. They'd probably nibble on your toes if they could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went on a hike on Sunday too and experienced a nice hail storm. I guess fall is coming to us soon.
    Missing you but always enjoying the blog. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock