Skip to main content

Making it work... or trying to....

The winds are almost through! I think just a couple more days with strong winds in the forecast. The storm didn't do much damage up here and it was nice because it wasn't constant rain, just squalls would come through here and there. The wind kept up most of the time though. So I've taken to wearing my hood up everywhere we go and I think Dustin thinks it's weird when it's not raining. But he doesn't have hair long enough for the wind to tangle in an instant - even my bangs get tangled! So a hood or toque it is.

I am surprised that Dustin's work wasn't interrupted at all with this weather. I think it was the first day of the wind that he said they were still using a crane! He refused to and kept his distance - the winds were around 60km/h that day I think and he said that at home even if it's about 40km/h they stop cranes. This isn't a high rise crane but still!

Well nothing else came up before my Greenpeace interview so I went yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure how many people were supposed to show up - it was a group interview - but only myself and one other guy were there. Another girl showed up a half hour late. So - no surprise to me - they were interested in hiring all of us. What they do next is take you out for a couple hours of door-to-door so you get a sense of what it's like. We went at 6:30pm last night and it was during one of those squalls I mentioned so it got really cold, it was super dark out and nobody was interested! We took turns going to the door with the Manager guy and I probably went to about 7 but maybe only 5 people answered. I got home and was dripping wet and cold because an umbrella is no match for sideways rain. Then they have a day of unpaid training and off you go. Overall it all seemed very disorganized and after seeing people be so uninterested, I just wasn't feeling it. I said I would go to the training and then decide on the job but after sleeping on it I decided in the morning that I wasn't going to change my mind after a day of training because the root of it is that I'm not a salesperson and I don't want to pressure people to do something they might not be that keen on. Plus, there is no local office so the three of us that they wanted to hire would basically run the show for ourselves and there's all these targets to keep up to make better wages. And apparently by the end of next week one of us would have been a team leader for the area. Hmm, just not headaches I want to deal with. Yeah even for just a few months.

So tomorrow I have an interview for a store like La Senza but it's just a casual position so there's no set hours and there may not even be hours every week. But better than nothing I guess... There's still temp possibilities so I'm hoping for that! Sheesh.

I've been listening to 91.3 The Zone while I've been online today, fun to have a little bit of home. Although there's heaps of good NZ bands but I haven't settled on a radio station here yet.
That's about all the news here for now. There's a surf gear sale this weekend so I'm looking forward to checking it out. It's kind of like a swap meet - we have the ski and snow swap  back at home and here's it the surf swap. We'll see what we find!

Comments

  1. we're glad you didn't take that job...Brad and I thought it didn't sound like something that would suit you. Good luck on the next interviews! Something will come up :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock