Skip to main content

Fulfilling Work

What a busy day it turned out to be! After making Dustin's lunch and seeing him off to work, I had breakfast and then started some chores. I was just finished cleaning the bathroom when the phone rang from a temp place (one I signed up with last week) for some work. I had all of 30 minutes to shower, make a lunch and walk the 15 minute walk to the office. Since another lady had to come get a timesheet at the office, I hopped a ride with her to the job site. It's a company that manufactures lumber and they also have a construction side. My task was to fill the knot holes with wood filler on finger-jointed beams. It was a long enough day to just do better than break even since I had to get steel-capped boots to work there! haha. But they have lots of different jobs and it sounds like they often call on this agency so hopefully I made a good impression and that they have other work for me down the line! But I've been to work and back and Dustin's still not home - although by now he's into the weekly Friday afternoon beers. Man was it ever strong-smelled at the shop though - we were working near the painting machine and so even when I got home my clothes smelled of the fumes!
It was a good experience though to work in something like that just to start to get a feel for it. If I want to change gears when I get home and get out of desk work, wood manufacturing or joinery had crossed my mind. So it will be nice if I have a chance to see other aspects of the process. I had to catch a ride home with someone else but it's funny because here all I need to ask is if anyone was headed back towards town and it's only less than a 10 minute drive - in the opposite way that Dustin goes to work. But maybe I'll start taking Dustin to work on a regular basis and then I won't have to rush out so fast and I won't have to worry about getting rides. The agency guy said if I couldn't find anyone he would bring me back to the office.
My interview the other day seemed to go quite well but I haven't heard back and she said she should be contacting me on Friday. But if she had to get in touch with references, the timing might have gone a bit longer. It is only casual work to be at the store for sales events or when someone calls in sick but the manager was great and it seemed like it would be a healthy work environment too. But pairing it with the temping and the virtual assisting could just come together to almost be enough.

It's always so amazing when you're halfway across the world and someone knows somebody in Chemainus. In the break room (or the "smoko" room because that's what they call breaks here) a man was asking where I was from and he had a friend that worked in the mills on Vancouver Island about 20 years ago. People always ask why we chose this city, it is small so I guess that they don't realize people might seek it out on purpose rather than the big smoke. When we were talking to the surf shaper though he was saying that people seem to fall into two categories about outsiders - they either have travelled themselves and are happy to get to know you, or they are a bit suspicious about your intentions here. So I always wonder where they fall when they're asking me why I came here. Typically I say we wanted somewhere smaller and then mention the surfing and the hiking. So maybe this weekend we'll be able to indulge in one or the other!

Comments

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock