Skip to main content

2014 is almost gone

Here I am on Christmas Eve, sick with an awful cold/flu. So rather than let my self-pity take over completely today at all the things I'm missing, I've peeled myself off the couch, had a shower and went out to our half-done hammock area and will try to focus on the good things of the year, rather than being pathetically sick during a stretch of warm sunny weather, with days off and BBQ's and parties that I could have been enjoying...
After some careful umbrella placement, I have managed to avoid the need for sunscreen.
I have to say that 2014 felt like a year of unrest. There was no shortage of good things but the underlying themes seemed to be that life was a bit of an unsettling year in many ways and oddly enough in other peoples' lives who are close to us too. So I am looking forward to bidding that adieu - and madly hoping that our renovation situation wasn't the cause of the feeling! Because that's not planned to end for at least another year.

Our first quarter of the year was full of finishing the master bedroom transformation, a weekend trip to Kawhia for the food festival, and a weekend in the big smoke to be wowed by Bruce Springsteen. We aimed for a mix of taking time out from working on the house and getting things done. I'm not sure if the balance was struck quite right but we tried.

From April to June, there were more upgrades around the house, fresh-hop beer brewing, some muddy running around and birthday dancing.

July seemed to carry through the same events of beer and the house but come August, we were preparing to attend a South Island wedding! I say preparing, because I made the cake. The trip also included a stopover in Wellington for Beervana. We were away for a week and thoroughly enjoyed heading out on the road for a little while.

September marked the start of the bathroom renovation that is technically still incomplete but we can function in it. So, along with going to the rugby (Taranaki won the ITM cup!), that was what September and October were for. November and December kicked into social season which we are right in the thick of (glaringly, with me absent from a birthday bash last night).

I guess when I summarize it that way, I can see some of the unrest being due to all the work on the house! It will sure be worth it when we're all done and dusted. 2015 brings the completion of the bathroom, the kitchen reno and possibly a new dog once the fence has been replaced. So, nothing short of keeping us busy busy.

This was a weird year too because it feels like we've been away from BC now so long that we're falling out of touch with people. Despite my best efforts, sometimes it just doesn't work. I know that most people don't really want long-distance relationships because they are very limited but this year we've been forced to accept it I think. It will have been 1.5 years since we have set foot in BC! That's certainly our longest stretch yet and I guess with no return date on the books, that's why we're feeling the shift in our connections.

But locally, we are developing other connections and although they are no replacement for people we've know for 10, 20, 30 years - we have to do our best anyways. And we are trying to.

2015 will be here in no time and I think it actually might be pretty similar to 2014 in some ways (continuing with the house, a different South Island Wedding this February, crafts and beer) which makes me wonder how we got to be so routine? haha. Even 3 years ago if you asked what my next 12 months looked like I would have been able to hazard a guess but who knows where it would have gone. Now, we're settling in I guess. Work and life tick along with injections of fun throughout and I guess that's us until this place has been turned upside down and we can stop renovating. (Once we've sold up down the track we might feel the need to see the world some more...)

We are excited to welcome two different visitors from BC (one via-Australia technically) to our house. We even bought a guest bed recently so we've been doing phase one of fixing up the guest room. There will be a phase two later on. So the first guests come on the 28th and then the next one in March. Maybe that could be a trend for 2015 - visitors from BC ;) - I know that's cheeky to say but it would still be fun.

So whether your 2014 was exhilarating or hectic, full of focus or full of unrest - we hope that your 2015 takes you in directions that you want to be going.

For now, I have a cold to get rid of and when I get up the energy, a gift basket from work to unwrap!


Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Comments

  1. Gah! My comment, it vanished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said..

    I'm so sorry I haven't done a better job of keeping in touch. This past year has flown by with keeping up with the baby. We miss you guys so much.

    Rest up and kick that colds ass. Have a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit - just wrote a super long comment and it's gone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess one is supposed to sign into their Google account first - then write a comment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so the gist was:

    - I am glad to see 2014 come to a close. Onto bigger and better for 2015!

    - Dustin is a perfect Xmas photo model for us there!

    - New Zealand is definitely on my near future travel list.

    - have gotten used to you guys being gone now - BUT - still have major waves of missing you both - AND - still have a big gap in our lives without regular in person interactions with you two.

    - LOVE you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no why is my blog eating your comments!

    Thanks for your replies :)

    Always exciting to hear anyone might be thinking of visiting this magical land! :)

    Yes there are buts and gaps aren't there? It's definitely weird to adjust to from this side as well and I definitely have bouts of homesickness (which I didn't used to have when we were travelling about) and there are always jokes from BC life that make me smile when something reminds me of them. We definitely know the in-person interaction is the root of most fun with friends so we get how the sheen can wear off of emails and skype chats haha.

    Thanks, we LOVE you too!!

    Arohanui!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock