Skip to main content

Partaay Season

Within the span of about 5 weeks, not only do we have a work xmas dinner each, a crate day BBQ, building supplier appreciation parties, end of year work shouts/bbq's, a wedding reception (the wedding was in Ireland a wee while back), and new year's but we also recently attended a stag/hens party. Whew. We better make sure we get enough rest during the weeks these days.

The stag/hens was for friends of ours that you may recognize from last year's Christmas video. Most people I mentioned it to felt that we got the boys and girls parties reversed, but we've never been much on stereotypes anyways.

So the boys stayed in town, played bubble soccer, went bowling and then went out on the town. Complete with the groom dressed as a much-older hooters waitress. Dustin made it home after losing the group but all accounts from the boys Sunday were that they were sore and hungover.

Now, the girls loaded up their packs with provisions, went for a hike and stayed overnight in a hut on Mount Taranaki. There had been far too much rain in the days leading up to the walk so swampy conditions were the norm along the track. After trudging along for 3.5 hours (there were ten of us), we offloaded the bags and set to making a fire. But wait, where was the firewood? It was cleaned out. Not even a scrap of kindling was left. So, ever resourceful, we managed to find dry wood and thanks to having access to the warden's quarters we had a saw as well.

Three of us sawed away for an hour or so and collected some small branches for kindling and we managed to gather enough to keep us warm through the evening and even the next morning.



Since we got to the hut just before 6pm, the evening managed to tick along pretty quickly but there were lots of laughs, eats and long-exposure creative photos with our headlamps.

The walk down took us 3 hours and managed to be muddier than the way up (thanks to overnight rain that I listened to for many hours as I tried and tried to sleep) so by the last half hour I was just stomping in the swamps, taking no further care to keep my feet clean or dry. Luckily the last stretch was through a paddock which pretty much cleaned off the mud and dirt.

I don't have any other photos from the hike as I had my camera in my bag and was not about to remove my pack to grab it at any time. It was a heavy pack.

So both of us were exhausted after that weekend. I think it wasn't until the following Thursday that we felt caught up - and by then we were nearly straight into the next set of events. (Including a comedy club show with Urzilia Carlson and a bit of kareoke out too since we've been missing band-camp Sundays for a while now).

I hope that you are enjoying the festive season and making the most of it too! I am sure that over the Christmas break I will have a little time to tell some more stories and we'll be busy around the house of course. Plus we have an ex-BCer coming to visit in late December so she will be the first person we know from Canada to see our house! We're looking forward to that for sure.

In the meantime, I will leave you this crate day thought:

COMMANDMENT #7:   Thou only beef that shall attend National Crate Day is thy beef for thy BBQ

Comments

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock