Skip to main content

Les Incompétents

It seems like almost everyone has a favourite holiday movie from their childhood. Mine (and luckily Dustin's too) are Home Alone and, its only sequel worth watching, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. Although I can't say that I've watched 3, 4 or 5 (yes, I think I saw that there was a 5 now!) you can just tell when the sequels are going to be bad.


The year that Home Alone was released, my aunt took my siblings, my cousin and I to watch it. I remember there was a blizzard blizzard-ing snow everywhere so just getting to the theatre was mayhem. We went to Station Square in Metrotown which was a big outing too. I am sure I laughed my 7-year-old head off but I can't say I actually remember much of the movie - it was more about the blizzard.


One Christmas my brother even got a Talkboy for Christmas! We had so much fun with that.

This is Peter McAllister - the father.... credit card, you got it!

Nearly every year since, I have watched it once the holiday season comes around. When we lived in Melbourne, I actually went to the video store to reserve both the original and the sequel for us. I think the clerk thought I was just a little weird.


This year is probably the first year that we watched a few you tube videos about Home Alone though. One was secrets of the filming - things like the snow was actually potato flakes or that the guy doing Kevin's stunts was about 30 years old. We also stumbled across a home alone drinking game - good thing we had already watched it as all the things you drink for seemed to be pretty steadily in every scene.


It's a few days before Christmas and we've already watched 1 and 2 so this year is covered. Phew. Luckily the rain was pouring down Sunday morning keeping us in with good movie-watching weather.

Well, you have to pay for your pizza sir.

Comments

  1. Some movies just never go out of style - or I should say hold such a good memory that it's so easy to quote them on the regular. I quote Encino Man quite frequently and pretty sure Bernard thinks I am nuts for that.
    Oh and Katherine someone dropped a Simpsons reference the other day and I totally got it. Other than Colin May, haven't really found anyone with as much Simpsons reference knowledge as you. I need to officially give Bernard a Simpsons-education!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Put 'em in your purse! PUT 'em in your purse!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man Encino Man was great. I think I still occasionally quote that too!
    Sweet, I have been watching more Simpsons lately than ever (which is still not a lot) but I can't believe how much some of the old ones still make me laugh! There was a guy at work who was pretty Simpsons-knowledgeable but we didn't really get into a lot of jokes with it. Now he doesn't work there and nobody was quite as Simpsons-friendly. Oh well.

    Haha, we definitely use that Put 'em in you purse line a lot though! Classic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts

Taranaki Rugby!

Some photos from the game on Saturday afternoon. The wind caused a few wayward kicks and the torrential downpour mid-game made the ball slip all over the place but then the sun came out and Taranaki won! They were playing Canterbury who are now behind them by one place in the rankings. We had fun and managed to walk there and back without catching any of the rain. The steam-breathing drivable mascot I don't think the photo does justice to just how much it was raining! Line out Go the 'Naki! (They are the yellow and black team.)

Not for the squeamish

Well the long hours of work and planning and helping friends demo sheds and paper shuffling and biking and cooking and eating and cleaning have caught up with us and Dustin has relinquished his right to tell his story from last week. **Note, the pictures are gross so beware if you are a little faint seeing blood... So, last Friday I had worked the early shift and was back at home on a call with a virtual assisting client, so naturally my mobile was on silent, and as soon as I hung up, the home phone rang. (This is a phone that only people who have had a part in giving birth to one of us tend to use... that and wrong numbers, we get a surprising number of wrong numbers...) Anyways when Dustin's voice was on the other end the confusion began. "Hi, I'm at the hospital. Come here now." "What happened??" "I'm fine. Just come up here." (Wheels spinning in my head...) "Are you sure? I think it will take me too long to bike because I

Whitecliffs Walkway

About 15,000 people attended the fireworks Early in the evening Our walk at Whitecliffs Walkwa Strongest man competition contender We climbed up this rock